Now that the character model has its sculpted details of various panels, I began trying to figure out how to get him into substance painter so that Jordan could begin adding surface details. Once I had him in substance painter (so I thought) I decided to play with the tools and see what comes out. I thought to myself, ‘this seems easy enough’.
I passed the substance prep file over to Jordan for texturing and off he went. In the mean time I had a curiosity about substance, it was definitely much more inviting that I had first imagined so I explored and researched beyond what I currently thought I knew. I soon found out that everything I thought I understood about substance, was fundamentally, WRONG. A couple late nights of research, I discovered how substance truly works, it is elegantly simple with infinite possibilities. Just a few technical complexities to get the software working effectively during the import and export processes.
To apply some of these new concepts I started a fresh project with Circuit. Jordan liked what I had done in my experiments so was happy for me to take the lead on Circuits texturing. I am happy with this and I’ve really enjoyed learning a new software and exploring the nuances of organising my substance project.
Understanding substance gave me the ability to creatively think about his materials. It was no longer a matter of making him look like metal and a bit rusty, but a decision of where does his rust come from and what kind of dirt is he covered in. Circuit works in a junk yard so I imagined him to be covered in a muddy dirt. If he was in a desert, I would make him dusty with sand. I used his environment and his purpose as a foundation to decide his weathering. His face is inspired by mobile phone displays and how they smear when you wipe them.
Once I got the character looking good in substance, it was time to figure out how to export all texture maps to be compatible with arnold 5.
HE WORKS : Updated Circuit_MASTER.mb
MotA 3.2 with GPU rendering releases.
To test the GPU quality and speed I used a single frame from one of Jordans animation tests. I found that Opacity in the AiStandardSurface shader did not compute the same as the CPU, but overall quality is very close with some grain. The opacity issues can be improved by using transmission, though this does not completely solve the problem.